Condor Watch Talk

Subject: ACW00055oc

Subject ACW00055oc Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• yshish by yshish

juveniles or adults?

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Only condors with completely pink-orange heads will be considered adults, so 3 kids. two with cool hoodies

Posted

• yshish by yshish

i'm confused, the last time i asked, some of the scientists told me they're adult when looking like these two on the left 😕

Posted

• zekazoo by zekazoo scientist

the two on left are actually adults. That black mustache is on all adult condors and is actually feathers, not skin coloration.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

oh i see, good to know. thank you.

Posted

So, as long as there is no black blotching on skin of the neck and face, it is a full adult.

Posted

I might call the condor on right "unknown" as this face is in shadow and I'm not sure if I can accurately assess head color.

Posted

Gosh its hard to limit oneself to 140 characters, when it comes to condor ID! Please let me know if you need more information on this photo.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

thank you very much. i think i got it: moustached/pink head = adult. black/blotched head = juvenile. shadowed/hidden head = unknown.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Yes this 140 is a pain! much needed to explain here at times 😃 don't HAVE to mark the adult/kid area if unclear, yes! (thanks zekadoo!)

Posted