Condor Watch Talk

Marking "bug"

• GizmoMischief by GizmoMischief

Hi, I can finally take part in condor watch because all the big errors have been fixed (like bringing up the next photo!) but I still have a slight bugbear (pardon the pun). when I click on the animals the dot isn't quite centred and I have to spend time fiddling around getting it into the right place - frustrating when there are either a lot of animals, or smaller animals. I even have to do it the carcases sometimes. I've tried altering the position of the image on my screen and altering the size of the image as well, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Hi GIzmo!
    Hmmm. They're still working on things so there is still hope (I have had no profile page or stats for months and the magnifier dot freezes if I open it) Are you still using RT8.1? That's such a wonky system as far as compatibility here so I'm betting with all the changes Zoo seems to be making that it's having more compatibility issues with you.

A walk-around might be this for you: you can click anywhere on the page - you'll get the magnified circle. Drag that over the where you want it to be on the animal or carcass. Then click some random place on the pic again. The magnified spot will turn into a red dot (these mean you didn't put the information in as to why the dot is there).

If the dot placed correctly, that's all that matters for now. Do this for all the dots you want to place. Then you can go back to each red dot and click on it. It'll open up the marking menu and you can then fill in the info on the animal/carcass. (To erase a dot just go to the "X" in the right coner of the marking menu)

You can even make a pile of red dots and drag them to where you want after you've made the amount you want. We used to do that for ravens here when we had to identify how far away from the carcasses they were, just like the other animals. It was quicker to make a Pile 'O' Dots and then drag them to the ravens, then open the dot and go "raven raven raven raven x15" then do all the distances...kind of like an assembly line of marking instead on one by one. Some pics would take 160 clicks just for ravens.

See if that's at all helpful. I'll send a note to DZM and see if he'll stick his head in here and address this for you or at least note that it's an issue. Thanks for posting!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey @GizmoMischief -- the mark seems to appear right where I place it, for me.

What device, OS, and browser are you using?

Posted

Hi wreness and DZM, yep still using Windows RT8.1 which will only support Internet explorer (currently using Explorer 11) which I'm beginning to hate with a passion! All was fine until today when something seems to have changed. Marking was good for a while but seems to have gone back to the crap way it was, where it won't place the mark where I think I've put it and I have to spend time dragging it to the right place. It still all works... it's just more time consuming which is annoying when I have limited time to contribute to the project. I'd like to do as many images as possible and this is slowing me down big-time!

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Hi Gizmo! I really think your RT8.1 is the problem but I can't say what Zoo's up to this week. I have had some discussion with them about that every time Zoo implements updates, is testing a new area in some manner or tweaks another area, we seem to have issues here on Condor Watch. It has been ongoing for a long, long time but they are always working to help fix things for us! I noticed the last day or so a terrible lag when I post and the magnifying circle still freezes in place often when I open it, so I have to "X" out the whole dot and start over again. As you say - time consuming. The other night I was here with 3 other people (and on the phone with 2 of them...kind of fun!) when all of a sudden they just went POOF off the Current USER list and yet we were all on the site. Refreshing the page did nothing. They could see me; I didn't see them. Then they lost me. Other users have mentioned there never seems to be anyone on here but then they see someone posted a comment in Talk, and I really feel this makes the place look empty when it's not. (You do have to be signed in via Talk to see your name on "current user" however)

I'm sure DZM can add to the discussion when he sees this so we can see what he has to say. I hope you hang in there - we like having you here, of course, and appreciate any and all creativity it takes to help with our Bugs and Glitches until they can get smoothed out. Feedback makes for fixes 😃

Thanks for posting...this is what helps us!

Posted

No problem Wreness - even if I can only work on a couple of pics with all the bugs and my time restrictions, at least I feel like I'm helping. Have to agree with you, I think most of my issues boil down to RT8.1 - I've had a lot of problems with a lot of programs because of it. Next time I have to replace a laptop I WON'T be using it again!

Posted

PS I tried the pile o' dots thing but that slows me up even more.... when I click on the red dots to move and put in information, they either hang or move themselves further up the screen. Grrr!!!

Posted