Condor Watch Talk

#scale

• wreness by wreness moderator

Reposted for stonepenny - Photo of scale and answer on marking scale added to Help> Technical> FACQ boards. Reposted here also

by stonepenny
    since we're # scales with condors on them, have we any info on reading the scales? Are they in kg/lbs/stone? Are the numbers done like a scales in a supermarket, say for loose fruit/veg? Having asked, I have yet to make out the actual numbers on the scales. Then again, having the condor tag nos to refer to made them easier, so, if the same was available for the scales, at least we could try more. Just a thought.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to wreness's comment.

Hi Penny!

This is from the F.A.c.Q (Frequently Asked condor Questions) on the Help Board under "marking things" which explains the hash tags that are helpful to use on Condor Watch

Hash tag :
    #scale - if you can see the tag of the bird and if you see the weight. The data can be recorded for a Health Check on the bird.

If you can't read the scale but do see the tag, someone might be able to read the scale (we have a lot of eagle eyes here If there's no tag visible then just mark him the distance from the carcass that they are (or no carcass)"

So, if you see a condor on a scale and can't see a visible tag, then just ignore the scale since it's just a condor on a scale. In that case, mark the condor the distance from the carcass as if the scale isn't even there.

Ditto if you see a photo with just a scale in it, or carcasses and a scale, ravens and a scale, etc. We don't mark the scales.

Here's a big, clear photo of the exact scale used on Condorwatch.

enter image description here

The scales are in American Pounds (Lb) and the written numbers go up by 2 pounds; there's a mark for in between. (You don't have to worry about half-pounds or increments, just whole pounds)

Sometimes the photos are bad, as you know My tip: look for the needle at the center circle of the dial where the face is least likely to have sun or shadows. Look for the "10" since that's where the numbers are written "wider" and you can usually see that if the photos is blurry. Then counting by 2's until you find where the needle is.

If you ever see a scale with a wooden box around it, this adds 10 pounds to the weight. A condor might weigh 24 pounds on these scales which is not their normal weight. They are between 16 pounds on the light end to 25 on the heavy end. If you want to deduct the 10 for the wooden box, you can. If not, the scientists know the box adds 10 pounds.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the question (and all you do here of course!)

Posted

• stonepenny by stonepenny

thanks Wreness! Please check this one... saw the above AFTER I'd clicked on 'talk'
    #scale, tag 11 black, 3 dots, adult
    Image ACW0003ype

http://talk.condorwatch.org/?_ga=1.116112389.2093708344.1419614179#/subjects/ACW0003ype

Posted

from/for above post, scale approx. 20-22?

Posted

#scale 22lbs tag:51 black
    Image ACW00042sf
    http://talk.condorwatch.org/?_ga=1.2208947.2093708344.1419614179#/subjects/ACW00042sf
    (hope I'm getting this right now...)

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to stonepenny's comment.

That one is 21 pounds -- (added to your comment photo.) Will remove this when I'm sure you've read it 😃

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to wreness's comment.

Image ACW00042sf is correct - weight /tag info was already added on photo (below yours) by brittanymitchell. If you see someone has already put the #scale information on a photo it's "done" as there's no need to type it up more than the one time. (Unless you see the entry was incomplete and can complete it in some way)

Posted