Condor Watch Talk

???

• lesleylupo by lesleylupo

Okay, this is my first classification, but there is no way I can see if these are condors or vultures. what is the best way to handle this one?

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Hi! And welcome! This is a great picture to have as a 1st, even though you got condor rear ends (or "butts" as we like to say) - at least they're standing apart from each other and are easy to count.

Below are some links to help you see and read and find the answers to everything and anything you'll want to know but for now I'll give you the short version!

If you see a tag on a wing, it's a condor - they're the only birds you'll see that have a tag. They might have them on both wings or just one (we have seen tagged eagles but they are very rare and not part of this project) Condors are huge. These are condors in this photo. Here's a large photo

If you look closer, you can see the tags, and the GPS wires sticking out on both wings of the middle bird and from the left wing on the bird on the right. (Even if you can't see this, you'll learn quickly to spot that these are condors with a bit of practice!)

A turkey vulture would come up to about the top of the condor's leg. Condors are black with long pink necks (black heads of juveniles), white feathers and white legs; turkey vultures are dark brown with tan feathers and are close to the ground. They have vibrant red heads, white beaks and are funny looking. Like "laugh out loud" funny looking.

Here's one of the photos we have showing the size differences. The condor, at right, is on its knees to get into the carcass (yum 😛) - a frequent position that is another way to identify them at carcasses. Can't miss those amazing necks!

enter image description here

Here's another with a condor standing upright: Turkey vultures at the sides, and a raven in grass at front

enter image description here

This page has all the information you'll need to find anything and everything - our F.A.c.Q

We have a great field guide on the site that gives all the info you'll need and which you can also pull up as you work by clicking the book icon at the left corner of every photo you classify (be sure to hit the "back" arrow to get back to your photo when you're done)

There's also a terrific Photo I.D. page here on the boards showing every critter you'll encounter on the site as well as photos of size comparisons, explanations of why they do what they do and lots of angles so you can figure out one from the other - including carcasses. Butts and all 😃

Hope this helps! As always, post any questions, post on the Talk (we also love humor, as you see by reading the photos) and always feel free to message me with any questions! There's much to read and learn here about these amazing birds so thank you for asking!

Have fun and carrion !

Posted

Okay, I will try, but I still cannot make out the tags and wires. Since I couldn't see their heads, I didn't know who they were and I do know the size difference, but if they were all vultures...LOL, I'll get it eventually. But now it goes to a spinning circle and next shot will not open.

Lesley

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

It takes a bit of practice - you'll get to recognize the postures, feathers, sizes next to the carcasses or a bush. A "best guess" is always fine, too! Several people get the same photo to evaluate if there's an animal in it so we're all proofreading each other's work. You don't have to be perfect!

That spinning-ball thing is a pain that shows up periodically. It could be a few things:

1} Make sure you're not using any ad blockers or cookie blockers or if you are, allow Zooniverse to put cookies on your computer since that's how they make sure you're "you" and make sure you're getting the data

2} Sometimes trying another browser helps. I'm on Chrome and have a problem now and then but then it'll be fine; older browsers sometimes need to be updated to the current version (if you don't know how to check, yell and I can tell you).

3} Sometimes it's the site that's having problems and we seem to get these at certain times when "zoo Central" is uploading their data in the wee hours. Usually around 10 pm 12-am Central time, USA (at least that was the last time we were all yelling about it :x)

4} Sometimes it helps to sign in here directly https://talk.condorwatch.org instead of through the main Zooniverse page (if you're doing that)

If you keep having problems, give a yell or post it on the Technical boards. 😃

Posted

okay because I do a few different zoouniverse projects and never have a problem. I just tried again and it still doesn't open. I'll try the other way then try the tech boards.
    Thanks!

Posted