Condor Watch Talk

Tag Numbers

• Weatherby by Weatherby

When I was finished with this image, I was presented with the possibility that the Tag Numbers were actually 249 and 247. I find this rather unsettling as the tags in the image both appear to be square as most of the tags I have seen are. The numbers are large enough and uniform enough and seem to fit properly on the tag that I cant imagine a 2 being hidden on both tags. The two digits seem to be entered on their tags as well.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

The tag number, color, dots and underline all combines together to 'code' into info besides the actual number on the tags. This is done so that the tags can be kept at 1 or 2 digits. Otherwise the numbers would be too small to see well enough to identify (for instance in most cases, yellow is 200; blue adds 100, black is 300 - but not always!)

So you're right - these are exactly White 49 and Yellow 47 which end up being bird 249 (<-- see that just blew my whole 'yellow is 200 thing 😃) and bird 247.

The digits you see on the tag of the bird will always be in the number of the Bio, when you're done. There will just be a number added before that - the "code" 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

In the Field Guide there is a whole section explaining this :A field guide to reading wing tags (scroll down to the end of the Field Guide)

Posted