Condor Watch Talk

Identity issue

• LouisaEvers by LouisaEvers

How come there isn't an unable to identify option? In several of the photos, it's not entirely clear what species one or more birds might be due to over-exposed images, the number of birds in the image, the posture of the bird in question, and elements in the photo obscuring the bird.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Since several (or maybe "a lot", not sure how many 'a lot' or 'quite a few' etc is, technically) get the same picture, someone might be able to figure it out. Maybe not. My guess on the guy behind the pole would be a turkey vulture only because if I blow the pic up (you can right click on the pic here and then "open in new tab")(or copy it to a graphic program if you're ambitious) I can just make out a red head with the tiniest bit of white beak. I think. He looks more compact and smallish than a condor but then I could be wrong. Someone with oodles more experience might think it's a condor or be sure it's a raven. But! The "a lot" or input is eventually put on 'one' screen for The Scientist People and they can see that out of (say) 10 people who got this pic, 4 said it was a turkey vulture, 2 said it was a raven, 2 totally blew it off and 1 said it was a coyote, out of sheer frustration of looking at it on a graphic program, blown up for 45 minutes (not that I'd do that. I just heard people do. Ahem) So they take the general opinion go from there. Even just taking a guess is helpful. Some are impossible, agreed, hopefully there will be a "can't be identified" or "you have to be kidding" option in the future.

Posted