Condor Watch Talk

Carcasses. Carcii. Carcass. Dead thingies question.

• wreness by wreness moderator

I'm sure someone asked this already BUT where do the carcasses come from? are they killed for this specifically or are they already dead or ill stock that have to be put down? Are they already dead when put out there if they're put out there for this purpose? Thanks!

Posted

• zekazoo by zekazoo scientist

Good question. Condors are obligate scavengers meaning that they eat only carrion. The carcasses are mostly still-born calves donated from dairies. They are already dead when placed at feeding sites for the condors.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Thank you! Interesting stuff. Remember that Gary Larson cartoon with the vultures sitting in the tree? The one says to the other, "Patience my A$$, I'm going to go kill something?" I guess that should have answered my question. 😃

I'd imagine chicken farms would have a gigantic amount of dead animals to donate, too.

Posted

• itsmestephanie by itsmestephanie

That's a lot of still-borns.

Posted

• zekazoo by zekazoo scientist

I'm glad it was helpful! I guess I should clarify that not all of the calves are still-borns, but some die soon after birth from exposure. Inclement weather tends to increase the stores in the condor pantry. One of the biggest hurdles in getting food provisions for condor camera sites is assuring that it is not contaminated with medication or lead ammunition. For this reason, biologists have to be very careful about what food donations they accept.

Posted

• JGReid46 by JGReid46

Picture taken on 10/18/11 shows a black and white carcass that seems to be attached to a large chain link that is attached to a stake. What's going on there?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Sometimes the carcasses are attached to a chain to prevent them being dragged of and out of the cameras view. Nothing sinister going on ! 😄

Posted