Condor Watch Talk

For scientist person - Carcass not eaten

• wreness by wreness moderator

This is bugging me and I have to ask.

I have seen this brown carcass laying here in many, many photos. I'm not sure of the time frame but my guess is that it is laying there, untouched, for at least two weeks. I'd guess longer but it would rot on it's own accord so it can't be longer than that but really, I'd guess it is longer. I have seen other carcasses replace the ones in back which would be eaten, while this one sat.

Is there some reason no animals would eat a carcass? Not even the coyotes touch this thing. Recently I did see ravens start in on it. I almost feel sorry for it. 😃

Posted

• BirdGrrl by BirdGrrl scientist

That's a particularly sad looking carcass, for sure! I once did research on turkey and black vulture foraging on road-killed deer in summertime in Virginia, where things rot very quickly. I don't know anything about this particular carcass, of course, but I can say from very personal experience that yes, carcasses can rot to the point where not even vultures want to eat them. Depending on the temperature this can happen well within the span of a week. It's not pretty, let me tell you.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Thanks for the answer! Though that will add mightily to my horror every time I see this particular carcass now. You know you have failed as roadkill when the scavengers won't even touch you 😉

Posted