Condor Watch Talk

To A Scientist Person Type - Q about eating carcasses - transcribing question

• wreness by wreness moderator

I forgot where I read that part of the data being collected is so it's known how much of the carcasses are actually being eaten by Condors.

This picture shows an instance I see a lot as I'm sure we all do. The raven on the upper left has a piece of the carcass, and is obviously eating, but is not technically at "the" carcass. So, technically he or any other animal wouldn't be marked "within" the carcass area when it comes to marking.

Especially if coyotes were present or when the carcasses are ripped into tons of Parts, you will see other animals munching away on scraps that you know are "carcass". Sometimes they will obviously just take off with sections to eat them in peace.

So, I'm thinking here...we mark where the carcass is BUT for the sake of accuracy even if an animal is waaayyyy over there and not anywhere near "the" carcass but it's obvious it is eating it or had something to do with the eating of it, should it be marked as "within" the carcass area? It'd be helpful to understand what the data looks like on your end when you get it from us. Even the "within 2 body lengths" option isn't accurate if they're munching on an intestine they grabbed.

If the idea is "who is at THE carcass" or "who is trying to get to the carcass" and "who is also eating something in the picture" and "who is hanging around in hopes to eat when they're sure they won't get killed"..maybe the options ought to be reworded? Know what I'm saying?

thanks for the input!

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

We are interested in the numbers and types of other species foraging at the carcass the but the purpose of the distance to carcass information is to get a qualitative index of condor social status. In many feeding situations, dominant birds have access to the carcass first. When these birds have eaten, they will move away from the carcass to digest but will remain at the site, and younger and more subordinate birds will feed. Through a sequence of photos in the same feeding bout and also in many feeding bouts over time, we hope to build an understanding of social hierarchies. Thus, access to the main carcass is what is of interest, and small scraps carried off are not important. As is probably clear from this description, the distance to carcass is primarily of interest for photos with condors in it. We have heard user feedback that recording distance info is tedious for mobs of ravens and we are working with the tech folks to remove distance to carcass requirement for photos without condors. Hope this helps

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Yes, thanks!

It's not bad if there's no condors, it's just those ravens that are tedious. Maybe a "ravens only" radio button option to mark the numbers instead of inputting location info? Click, fini 😃 (1-10.11-20, 21-30, "lots", etc.)

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

They are working on it ! 😄

Posted