Condor Watch Talk

Cloth

• Darkathion by Darkathion

It looks like theres cloth or something over the camera

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Hi Darkathion!

You have inspired the solving of a mystery here!

Usually these "straight things" are a feather of a bird sitting on the camera (and there's been some really weird stuff that no one's even figured out) but after your question I realized quite a few of these photos were seen at this camera. This "bird" was here for a few days. 😮 No one has that kind of patience. Must be part of the camera then, or the housing - something! The pattern looks etched, like a piece of plastic and maybe that's glue (or poo. Self explanatory, right? 😄) See what you think?

Another camera's shadow for comparison

2-12-2010 . . . . 9:36 a.m. . . . ( from miltonbosch )

2-14-2010 . . . . 9:59 a.m. . . . (from troydanielbecker )

12-14-2010 . . . . 10:20 a.m. ...might be the sun hitting the tip there . . . . (from sschmidt )

12-14-2010 . . . . 4:25 p.m. ..now there's 3 of us wondering about this thing so I don't feel so bad 😃 . . . (from Aegypius)

2-17-2010. . . . . 7:39 a.m. .. hmm. A shadow on the camera? Probably not. Maybe. Hm. Who knows with these ravens. Large photo

Vote from this end: It's something on the camera that was peeling away. What do you think?

Posted

• Aegypius by Aegypius

More of what ever it is: Image ACW0003dkg and Image ACW0003dit and Image ACW0003do3 So it's been there all day on 02.12.2010.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

2-12-2010 . . . . 12:20 a.m. Utter rudeness from this thing - deciding now to block entire camera

Posted

• Canmore1919 by Canmore1919

Looks to me like a loose camera strap. Straps are often used to affix cameras to a rigid object ( ie pole, post or tree). If the loose end of the strap is not properly tied down then this is what can happen. I'm not sure if this link below shows it well but scroll over to the rightmost thumbnail picture to see how a camera is attached to a tree.

http://www.trailcampro.com/stealthcamgx45ng.aspx

You will note that they use a similar width strap to what is in the picture above that is troubling everyone.

I've set up literally 100's of similar cameras over the years and sadly this sort of thing does happen every now and then. Nothing more frustrating than only seeing a leg or a beak of something that you know would be a great picture. Makes you want to head out there to fix it yourself! 😃

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to Canmore1919's comment.

Wow - great info! Figured as much but it's more fun to speculate it's some nefarious ...something or other 😄

No idea how many total cameras are set up in this project currently but yes, I'd have to go out and fix it if I saw this. I yell at it even from here to get out of the way 😃

Would be great to have some stories of how they are set up and how it's decided where to set them up, what makes certain places successful and others not, if they're not. How to get the birds there or do they just find it on their own?

Thanks for the info!

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

"Would be great to have some stories of how they are set up and how it's decided where to set them up, what makes certain places successful and others not, if they're not. How to get the birds there or do they just find it on their own? "

Great idea -- on the list now. I have used these types of cameras and yes, it could be a strap. I will ask a condor field person about the specific details you requested here. I do know that the feeding stations placed off the beaten path to avoid human visitation as much as possible. They also need to be in places condors can take off from easily -- so generally high and/or windy. More to come on this.

Posted

• Aegypius by Aegypius

Good! So there is an explanation for the windmill-pictures. I just got one again: Image ACW0003djg
    Seems like the lens was blocked by the strap for quite a while.

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

I wonder how many strap photos there are? We should see if we can get these retired. Thanks for your help on CondorWatch!

Posted