Condor Watch Talk

Mystery Item - possible dead bird?

• Jacksons-1 by Jacksons-1

My initial thought for the object on the left is a dead bird. It could be a part of a carcass, but it seems different.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

It's a carcass, but you're right, it's a different type.

Besides the dairy cows you're used to seeing (most are stillborn) you might see deer (which still creep me out) and also rabbits (which this could be - or even 2 put together). You might have seen the horse that has been laying there for longer than I even am going to discuss because I can't even look at the thing, 'science" or not 😛 My gag reflex only holds up for so long.

Several of us think we saw a photo of a dead coyote out in the grass that was being eaten by the others. There were several photos in which one appeared to have a broken/swollen leg but I didn't see if this was before the coyote "died". I'd seen another one that looked to have a bad wound on its back at one time. If an animal here does end up being killed or dying at these sites, it does become food for the rest (there was a picture today I think! of a raven eating a raven).

Don't forget the odd pieces of carcass that get ripped off, dragged off, dropped and end up all over. Sometimes random parts of cow are brought to the site as 'carcass', too.

Good question! 😃 & Thanks for all your work!

Posted

• Jacksons-1 by Jacksons-1

You may have activated my gag reflex with your answer!! It's all good, this science thing. Regardless of the gruesome, this project is amazing and loads of fun.

Thanks for the reply!

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

I live to serve 😄

Posted