Condor Watch Talk

Difference between condor and turkey vulture

• Emi22 by Emi22

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide some advice about telling the difference between a condor and a turkey vulture. In this particular photograph, I was hesitant in classifying the large bird located on the farthest right in front of two ravens which are situated farthest back. Judging by the side I guess that it is a condor. Is that right?

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

This looks like a juvenile condor - generally, the turkey vultures do not feed alongside the condors and turkey vultures are less than half the size of a condor. We plan on updating the field guide to post more pictures of turkey vultures for reference. Thank you for your question!

Posted

• stonepenny by stonepenny

I look for the white beak on the turkey vulture. I've only seen them on a few sites, and usually on their own, although sometimes with ravens, but rarely with condors. They're a little larger than ravens, but much smaller than condors. Where I've seen small juvie condors, and wondered, I've looked for the white beaks, as seen in the Guide. Their lower back feathers are different - more like a bustle on a ladies dress, and slightly outlined. I've done a bit over 100 pics now, and am getting an 'eye in' with size of bird/distance from camera, but it's not always clear. I'm also using a hand magnifier, to zoom a bit further. I do hope they have a white beak regardless of size! (or I've ID'd turkey vultures as very juvie condors....)

Posted

• stonepenny by stonepenny

BTW - any help with the ID of birds in flight, please?

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Here's a pic I had a while ago showing turkey vultures eating next to condors (don't see this too often!) Once you see them side by side it's so obvious how huge the Condors are.

The one in front of the carcass with the white beak is a vulture, as is the one in back of the black juvenile condor. The one flapping its wings on the left is also a turkey vulture - notice there are no white feathers in the wings. While the coloring is bad in the photo, turkey vultures are brown (with tan areas); condors are black and white.

Hope this helps!

Posted

• wekebu by wekebu

Thanks for this post and the responses. I had the same question and now feel confident I can tell the two apart. We live next to a creek and see turkey vultures very often. I can only imagine how exciting it would be to have a bird 2x the size fly overhead!

@ wreness, that photo and your explanation is extremely helpful.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Why thanks, Wekebu! Once in a rare while we have a turkey vulture fly over and people run around freaking out as if Godzilla is about to swoop down on us. I'd love to see a Condor. It has to be amazing 😃

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

Hi Wekebu,
    we are making some additions (and hopefully improvements) to the field guide and have a section that shows photos of condors and turkey vultures to help tell the difference. We expect that the new field guide (plus other site improvements - yeah!) will be up by the end of the week. thank you for your participation in Condor Watch!

Posted