Condor Watch Talk

Gobs of Ravens- must we show location to carcass?

• wreness by wreness moderator

Question for Scientist Geek people --- just a question that I'm wondering that would save oodles of time for everyone....

Tracking and counting the condors is incredibly interesting, and so is the occasional Eagle and Coyote and all those other things but those Ravens..yikes. It's fine if they are within the photos of condors or other animals. BUT....if you have a photos of just 8 bazillion ravens, do you really, really need the extra data of where they all are in relation to the carcasses? This isn't giving any helpful input as to any pecking order in relation to condors being there, or any other animal.

They're just being ravens, they wander all over like toddlers in these photos, they're looking around as if waiting for taxis. I was wondering if we had just a photo of just ravens, how much faster it'd go if we just marked and counted them and left out the carcass-location details but of course I don't know if you have some Evil Scientist need for this info, which is why I'm asking. It's just really time consuming when you have 20+ ravens in a picture of ....ravens.... Enlighten me please. TY 😃

Posted

• itsmestephanie by itsmestephanie

I agree - for ravens it would be nice to be able to just enter the number of ravens within reach, the number withing two body-lengths, the number farther than two body-lengths, without having to go through 15 identification cycles...

Posted

• All41 by All41

What about the pictures which have only ravens? Is the information even useful or does it only matter as a relationship to condors? Can we just skip pictures which don't have condors?

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

No Evil Scientist need per say but we are interested in how many and how often other animals use the feeding stations so we would really like to have data on all the animals you see. But yes, we agree that distance to carcass for ravens is a bit tedious and we are working to fix this issue. Thank you!

Posted