Condor Watch Talk

Unidentified animals

• skenaja by skenaja

How should we tag the presence of animals that cannot be identified against the set list of species?

How should we tag the presence of other species that can be identified but aren't on the list?

Or should they be ignored as there is currently no "other" species?

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

I'm wondering, also!

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

I'm also wondering this: when there are live animals but no carcass in the picture, what should we do? When we ID animals we're required to state how close they are to a carcass, and can't finish with an image unless we complete that info. If you'd like us to ID animals in this case? Maybe we could have a 'No Carcass Present' button as an option. Thanks!

Posted

• MegF by MegF

What do I do if the number and the head of the bird is not visible? It won't let me put nothing there. I can't tell if it's an adult or juvenile if I can't see the head....is that what underlined is?

Posted

• LTazewell by LTazewell

Do you think "Underlined" should actually be "Undefined"??

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist in response to MegF's comment.

Hi MegF and LTazewell -
    You should be able to just enter as much or as little information as you can glean from the photo and leave the rest blank.
    Underlined is whether a wing tag number is underlined, as this is an identifying mark.

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist in response to skenaja's comment.

In the interest of focusing on the most useful data for our project, we are not asking site uses to mark anything other than the species listed. However, it is great to comment on them if they feature a large mammal or are otherwise interesting so they are featured on the talk page!

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist in response to SandersClan's comment.

We are working on resolving this issue. Thanks for pointing it out!

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan in response to vjbakker's comment.

Thanks, vjbakker!

Posted

• MegF by MegF

I also have an issue when a carcass is not visible and yet we MUST list whether or not the animal is within reach etc. I had one with an eagle that was right in the camera and a carcass visible waaaay out there but no idea if there was a closer carcass or not. Some of the photos are just a bunch of birds and no visible sign of the carcass but you know there must be one near there since they are all clustered.

Posted

• Angel_48 by Angel_48 in response to skenaja's comment.

That is a Golden Eagle

Posted