Condor Watch Talk

coyotes in New York City

• inaspin by inaspin

Just spotted this one - http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cameras-catch-coyotes-as-they-take-manhattan-slide-show/?WT.mc_id=SA_WR_20150826
    It's worth a look.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Neat article! (I love Scientific American)

Coyotes are incredibly adaptable and are one of the species that are having no trouble figuring out that cities = trash = food = free eats = some lady's yapping yummy Pomeranian & lots of rats, mice and easy prey.

In 2007 a coyote walked into a Quizno's ( a sub-sandwich type shop) which was smack in the middle of downtown Chicago and seemed to just want to take a nap in the fridge. (Video shows him being captured. Wow...they are nasty things!) I have seen coyotes 1/2 block from me coming up from under a bridge. The river it's over goes on for a long while, through eventually heavily forested terrain so they might just pass though, coming and going. In the winter I have stopped my car to let them cross the street.

Another article about Chicago and other Big City coyotes from National Geographic

Thanks for posting that! Interesting stuff!

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

What I found interesting is that the coyote wasn't found in the Eastern States previously. Here in Oz, their place is filled by foxes (feral) and they get into the cities too. I've seen them crossing main roads in broad daylight. As you say, plenty of free foods and by the way, love the image conjured by the yapping Pomeranian!

Posted