Condor Watch Talk

Petition requiring non-lead ammo by 2017.

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

"Please sign this petition by March 25, 2015 and we’ll add your name to our letter urging the Commission to fully implement the new law by 2017! "

A worthy cause. I signed it and I live 5,500 miles away!

https://www.change.org/p/california-fish-and-game-commission-require-nonlead-ammo-by-2017

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

I signed this, too, and forgot to put up the info! Thanks so much, Rick!

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

UPDATE:

From the Ventana Wildlife Society:

On April 9, 2015, the California Fish and Game Commission unanimously voted in favor of implementing a statewide ban on lead ammunition use by 2019 despite our efforts to seek an expedited phase-in. (In other words, they will not move the ban date up - it will still only go into effect in 2019)

That said, the passage of these regulations sets a precedent in the phasing out of lead ammunition, allowing us to see a light at the end of the tunnel for condor recovery. Thank you to all that signed the petition, which yielded 1,900 supporters!

Although the Commission ultimately decided to adopt final implementation by 2019, steps will be taken in the interim. We were encouraged to read the department's environmental document confirming that lead ingestion from spent ammunition is a significant problem for wildlife and that implementation of the ban is feasible. Furthermore the commissioners did not succumb to the opponent’s flawed arguments pertaining to performance and secondary effects of copper ammunition, which is the leading alternative to lead in ammunition products.

The outcome is a positive step in saving wildlife and endangered species. To learn more, listen to Ventana Wildlife Society’s executive director, Kelly Sorenson being interviewed on SeaChange.org on the subject. Thank you all for your support!"

More links: Hunting with Nonlead.org - "Lead Bullet Fragments in Game Meat" text and photos

Posted