Condor Watch Talk

=- The Best 2014 CondorWatch Photos Contest -= Winners! Slideshow

• wreness by wreness moderator

The Photos can be paused with the || button at the bottom left corner of screen . . . Keep cursor out of slide show area and arrows will disappear for unobstructed view. Clicking the right corner arrows will take you to a smaller, separate page slideshow viewer.

***Additional links:

condorwatch Photobucket Contest Winners Storybook Page - All Winners - individual full size photos of winners with text (clicking link will take you off the condorwatch site).

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I love it! Can I feature it on Daily Zooniverse? 😄

Posted

But of course! Thank you! 😃

I have the photos and sheets directly (the sheets have all the winners of each category but on one big 'piece', so there are 16 sheets. I tried to put them up on the boards here for each category but some were resized so small and got so fuzzy they weren't even viewable. If it'd be helpful to send them let me know- otherwise grab whatever you need from Photobucket if that's helpful, too - they are all there.

myraf is going to post something on the Blog to announce it tomorrow - if you could wait until she does that would be extra wonderful as I'm sure she'd love to put the DZ link in there, but up to you of course!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'll wait a bit. I featured Condor Watch fairly recently (the rainbow photo), but I should be able to embed the Photobucket thing the same way that you did!

Posted

Blog is up! Thank you 😃

Posted

• Canmore1919 by Canmore1919

My inquiring mind is wondering if the Photo contest winner Slideshow will be posted on Daily Zooniverse for everyone to see. It is so cool and it seems to me that it would be a great means to showcase all of the Condor Watch efforts.

Any idea when the big roll out will occur?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm going to do some more Daily Zooniverse posts soon... maybe even today. Thanks for the reminder!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

... Grrr. I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to figure out how to embed that beautiful slideshow in a Wordpress post.

Wordpress doesn't allow iframes or Flash.

Anyone have any ideas? 😦

Posted

I had to hack Photobucket's code to get it to work on here :x The world is not user friendly with this code stuff. 😛

At the risk of boring everyone I have a few quick ideas but can message you if these don't work and give more detail or we can take it there

I don't have Wordpress so I don't know if these are helpful but: there's a plug in you can get that allows you to use iframes called Global Content Blocks (people use this for YouTube videos and putting ads on pages, etc) Once you have it installed there's a little drop down menu on the page where you can then embed code and one of the options is an iframe code.

There's also big "sheets" that have all winners on one large page if the slideshow is too much trouble. I don't know how DZ is set up or if you could put the link to the slideshow board in DZ or if you do that sort of thing. The Boards here resized some of the sheets so small you couldn't even see the text (like the coyote sheet) so I had to put those up as separate photos. Everything is on Photobucket and and I can always email anything to you directly if you'd like.

I can just make a regular movie (like you did with the eagle?) and upload that to PB and you can grab that? I have all the pics on my comp here so it'd just be a matter of doing that quick (like anything is quick. Hah) if that's easiest for you. Or I can try to bribe you to do it. I have a Starbucks Mocha and some Flavor Blasted Goldfish crackers. Food of the gods.

OK I'm out of ideas 😄 Let me know or send me a message. And thanks for trying with that. It's a pain!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If you could do an .mp4, I would be thrilled. It would make my life much easier. 😃

(I think the eagle was actually a .gif. But an .mp4 would work fine.)

We're going to have one more shot at embedding the Photobucket...

[EDIT: Shot failed. If you can make that video, awesome!]

Posted

• mrniaboc by mrniaboc admin

Hi Wreness. Can you show me the code you used to post to here. I can try and work with that. At the moment I can get it to embed but just with a static image (no slideshow). If that doesn't work we will need to use an iframe plugin, but that will involve us transitioning from using Wordpress.com --> Wordpress.org. Which may be a faff.

Cheers

Grant

Posted

Hi!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I spent all night reading up on Wordpress and the issue to see if I could figure this out for your end.

@DZM - I made a movie/slideshow that is in the .gif format for you. It's 94MB so I uploaded it to my Google Drive account. You can go download it and then upload it on DZ that way. I just need to send you the link to the folder and you're all set. Can I message that to you? Or however is best. Hope that works!

@Grant (hi!) Wordpress states that they block the code from iframe embeds due to safety concerns but people complain mightily about it. They allow embedding from YouTube, TED talks, Pinterest and sites like Flickr (who said they are cutting that off soon as they're starting their own blog service) There's a thread on Wordpress on how to embed videos here

https://en.support.wordpress.com/videos/

Wordpress does have a Videopress feature on the Premium and Business versions.

There's also something called "shortcodes" which is a way of getting around Wordpress's blocks but many say they can stop working at any moment. They didn't have one specifically for a Photobucket slideshow but I gave it a try on the free version of Wordpress, following the format, and it didn't work.

I can't type the code of the slideshow in the board because the symbols in it make part of the code invisible. If you type the symbol over the comma (the opposite of this >) it makes all typing below it disappear. There's no way to put it on here even trying to be sneaky and have it make any sense. That's part of the iframe code so it turns into HTML on here 😕

Hopefully the problem is solved with the .gif file I can send.

Thank you so much! (I have to use "faff" in a sentence today)

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

I too got sucked in this, trying to get the slide show to run on Facebook and the blog last night. The only comment I have is that "faff" is a new word for me, and it perfectly describes how I spent my time last night 😕 Great word.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

@wreness -- alright, please do PM me the link to where I can download that video, and I'll use that. Best we can do, I fear.

I'll also include a link to the slideshow as well.

Thanks!!

Posted

• mrniaboc by mrniaboc admin

Yes Vickie. Faff is an extremely useful word in British English! I have no idea how other English-speaking people get by without it.

Thanks for looking into that @wreness. I basically hit the same roadblocks.

Cheers

Grant

Posted