Condor Watch Talk

Look For Black57 4 dots

• inaspin by inaspin

Just did an image search for "californian pines" to try to identify the tree which appears in the background of many of the shots - who should appear but a juvenile Black57underlined! I was surprised to say the least. Now I have to keep a lookout in case he appears officially! Please post if you spot him/her.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Did you mean 47 Underlined? Here's a great pic of her 😃

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4rgZAUcZVL1uSa2J94PWA6X7CS4DmLQI6UvjJsffP1lJugzRX_Q
    Sorry wreness - definitely Black 57 underlined. It appeared when I image searched "californian pine trees" Maybe this is another mystery.

Posted

What a great pic! I can't imagine those giant feet clinging to those branches.

Another mystery for you ....there is no 57 underlined but there is 57 4-dots. I tried your search, too, and never saw that photo so you must have Secret Oz Tools over there. I started getting photos I won't detail here using Yahoo's photo search and isn't it interesting how even a search on trees leads to things you wish you never saw? People are weird, is all I can say.

We'll have to keep an eye out. I don't recall ever seeing her in a pic but I'm sure one of us will.

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

I did that search awhile back too wreness (and I found it 😃, scroll down here: http://talk.condorwatch.org/#/subjects/ACW0002ipv). The reason I was searching was I too wanted to verify this bird's identity, so I wanted to research where and when the photo was taken. I didn't come up with either piece of information, and it looks like I got sidetracked and never wrote my thoughts, but here they are.

There are 3 reasons why we might not have a tag on our list: 1) it was out of the date range of our photos (eg, a bird that lived and died before our photos start, or was hatched very recently and thus after the photos end). 2) It's an Arizona or Baja Mexico bird. 3) There's an omission in our records.

I don't think it's #1, and that issue is sort of irrelevant for this one, since, it can really only be 257, an Arizona bird hatched in 2001, or 457, a SoCal bird hatched in 2007. I will ask my SoCal person if this is 457 and a CA bird and report back.

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Good to know you're on the case VJ - I'd sort of concluded that it might be out of "our area" given that I saw mention somewhere of maybe extending the study to cover other condor habitats. I wasn't aware that the condor lived over a wide area. Do they migrate between habitats?

Posted

I'll let VJ answer this one for you since she can recite it in her sleep - as far as how they travel between areas in California - but condors currently are in the U.S. states of California, Arizona and Utah. Here's an interesting pic I found from 2004 of Yellow16 2-dots

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Hey - now I'm excited! Your Yellow16 2-dots site also has Black57 4-dots; Blurb below video says this condor is part of a reintroduced population in Bitter Creek Cons. Park, in Kern County, California. Thank you!

Posted