Condor Watch Talk

Mini-Movies: photos taken in a row. Post links here

• wreness by wreness moderator

T-M found these two photos. They show condors with their wings outstretched, warming up and flexing. If you click on one of the links you'll see the link to the 2nd photo (or find both here). Clicking between the 2 photos makes a movie of the condors flapping. Yes, this is "High Entertainment" here on CW, so take a look! 😃

Aw come on, it's cute!

http://talk.condorwatch.org/#/subjects/ACW0004q42

http://talk.condorwatch.org/#/subjects/ACW0004q5n

Posted

Another mini- movie : two photos taken immediately apart. Eagle Vs. Condor. guess who won?

http://talk.condorwatch.org/#/subjects/ACW0003rgr

http://talk.condorwatch.org/#/subjects/ACW0003rgp

Posted

Sometimes the CW cameras catch a rare occurrence as you have no doubt seen, and sometimes even glimpses of rare visitors.

We have 4 photos of a Saw Whet owl at this location. Two were taken at the same time but the others seem to the same owl, too. He must love that scale as a vantage point to look for the mice, rats and who-knows-what-else that feed on the carcass debris at night. There is another photo of what looks to be the same type of owl at another location - maybe it's the same owl?

taken 1-10-2011

taken 1-28-2011 . . . 5:06 a.m.

taken 1-28-2011 . . .5:23 a.m.

taken 4-5-2011

Other guy, maybe? -

same owl, same site, 4 days later 😃

Posted

Like When That Old Guy On The Block Tells The Kids To Get Off His Lawn

This must have been "Kick a Turkey Vulture's Butt Day" at this site. Here's two photos taken 2.5 hours apart on May 20. 2007.

In both photos, a turkey vulture is quietly standing by a carcass eating and when a condor seems to decide, from another carcass farther away, to come storming over, deciding that the site isn't big enough for the both of them. The first photo was funny but when I found this going on a 2nd time, I figured it really is Condor Bullying at its best

6:52 a.m. - in this photo you can even see the condors at the carcass laughing at the poor turkey vulture. I'm not making this up.

9:29 a.m.

Posted

Condor, Turkey Vultures & Ravens Eat The Biggest Carcass In Universe For 8 Solid Hours

After a small discussion amongst themselves for 3 minutes and shifting around for maximum benefit, a small mixed group started to eat a giant carcass and smaller one. The game plan seemed to be "nom nom nom nom" and though several were seen walking it off from time to time, no one left. The last photo shows what an 8 day Eat-A-Thon looks like. Where do they put it all? Question - why are there 22 condors crammed around 1 carcass at some sites and yet there were only 2 here day? Could have been a Condor Party.

6-2-2012 . . . 9:56 AM

6-2-2012 . . . 9:59 AM

6-2-2012 . . . . 10:01 AM

The Aftermath .. looking like the aftermath of a Slipknot concert

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist in response to wreness's comment.

I love this page!
    (The link with the laughing condors isn't working, and I'd really like to see it 😃)

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to vjbakker's comment.

Yes, @wreness put a wrong link, this is the correct one: link

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to yshish's comment.

Thanks Yshish! Added and corrected! I was having a lot of problems with the links returning errors last night even after redoing them several times so I gave up and hoped today would be better (or my brain would work better. One of the two!) Thanks for the time correction, VJ. This is what I get when I have 19 photos up at the same time.

Posted

Eagle on carcass - taken within seconds of each other

Photo 1 3/21/09 9:27

Photo 2

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

This one's not that great, but happened to notice it. Condors doing the wave at a carcass:

wingsup 1

wingsup 2

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to vjbakker's comment.

Wow, perfect! How on earth did you spot those?

I added it to the photos themselves...it's fun to toggle between the two and see it in motion.

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

How on earth -- good question. It's like playing concentration and every now and then a random memory neuron actually fires in my old brain 😃

Posted

I'm making a private collection of this day (well, 2 days - 10-28 and 29- 2010 since this is the day there are 8 bajillion photos of this carcass. But sometimes I get 2 that are sooo close it's amusing!) Every time I classify images here I see a few so there must be thousands. When I get enough..slideshow time: )

The Carcass-A-Thon 1

Ad Nauseum #2 - 20 seconds later

Posted

A baby condor asking Dad (or mom?) where babies come from as Dad hides behind the scale

12 seconds later - Does Dad (or mom) whisper the answer? 😃

Posted

A Field Person doing a dedicated job, working in the dark at 6:30 am looking for whatever it is they look for

...and still out there 11 hours later at 7pm, still working

All hail, whoever you are! It looks very cold and it has to smell awesome out there 😛

**(thanks to **mapat for finding these!)

Posted