Condor Watch Talk

Bird Origami, staring contests, bird telepathy & other expressions

• wreness by wreness moderator

It has hit me how bizarre some of the ravens look when they're flying. Some of them look like liquid tar, warped and thrown into some shape you don't even know would be a bird.

Some ravens (I use these as an example because there's so many and we're so sick of counting them, so you have to laugh, right? Right? Right) just have the strangest expressions on their faces, as do condors.

You wonder what they're thinking. Come on, you know you do.

Inspired by my fellow Moderator ElisabethS who just posted a photo and commented that this condor looked like he was standing with his hands in his pockets. and a fellow citizen scientist, miltonbosch, who once told me that he thought juvenile condors sometimes looked like 1950s hoodlum punks in black leather jackets lurking around, glaring at people, waiting to start trouble (I agree!) I start this folder where we can post photos with the strange twisty ravens, condor glares, staring contests and other body languages that make us laugh.

Have to keep the sanity going here, you know 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

just got this one : 3 ravens dropping in ! 😄
    3 ravens

And another one ! D

3 ravens

Posted

• Golden_Slippers by Golden_Slippers

Is it ok to post pics of condors not from this project?

This is Sespe condor saying "Yeah, this is what a 9 ft wingspan looks like. Boom."

enter image description here

Posted

Dunno :x I'll check. They sure are beautiful. Kind of looks like that first Alien in "E.T." that came down out of the space ship 😃

Here's one I just got showing an incredible golden eagle flying in from the back and many ravens taking flight. The one in front looks like he's trying to do the "Matrix" fight pose, thing up in the air and two on the right in a perfect copy of each other. I put the link so the pic can be seen full size when opened.

Posted

Here's a shot of a condor leaping in midair, playing, "whee! I'm a condor!" Great wingspan!

Posted

When Condors do the Hokey Pokey. You put your right wing in, you put your left foot out and you shake it all about ....

Posted

• yshish by yshish

pretty funny frame of condor "trying to kidnap a baby" 😃

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to yshish's comment.

Those feet never fail to amaze me 😃

Posted

Caught red-handed !
    Really Mom, it was like that when I found it ! 😄

Posted

An elegant jump

Posted

From madeline67 condor in flight

Posted

Moving carcass ???? 😄

Posted

Condor, with his condor kite

Posted

Condor with a rocket pack, playing Superman

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd

Mid--air battle of the ravens over a morsel of flesh...other ravens intently watching the fight, like a group of high-school students.
    http://www.condorwatch.org/subjects/standard/534c48c7d31eae0543054b19.JPG

Posted

Out stretched wings, running

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd

"I keep croaking in his ear loudly, Wake up, horsey! but he's not responding. That lady at the pet store took my money and I got ripped off."

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd

"There goes the neighborhood - three scumbag buzzards moved in. I thought it was an exclusive adult condor retreat! My pet horsey died too 😦

Posted

Raven. close up

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd

Golden eagle "selfie" for Personal Ad:
    "Young male Golden Eagle seeks female for long walks on the beach, and dining on rotting carcasses. Hates ravens but will tolerate condors. Call 800-4RO-TTEN" 😄

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the muuuuuuuuuuuusic! 😄

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to miltonbosch's comment.

LOL ! 😄

Posted

A condor playing "swiss army knife"

Posted

Opera

Posted

Yin and Yang

Posted

You looking at me?

Posted

Strange grey alien life form. Obviously it's a condor but the 2nd bird from the left, top has no face, no beak, isn't the same texture as the rest of them, isn't the same color and is just strange

Posted

Raven with tutu, at raven dance school

Posted

Weird pic! Two condors on scale - note 2 tags & 2 GPS antennae (but there isn't room on those things for 2 condors). 47 in back stretching wings which is so cool 😃 Condor on very far right edge, with Black tag 3 underline showing (probably 34 underline), - couldn't figure out what was going on there because she looks as if she's either got a hunchback, a parasitic head growing out of her back or a Mini-Me condor coming in from above. Strange angle. For a second it looked like a Condor Traveling Carnival Sideshow 😄

Posted

Amateur-photographer ? Selfie gone wrong ? Or is there something going on that we are not allowed to see ? 😄

Take your pick

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd

Golden Eagle using every muscle it has, straining to rip the tough hide of this carcass open 😃

Posted

Romantic dinner for two ! 😄

Posted

Look at the one to the left. Looks like this carcass wasn't fresh enough for him ! 😄

Yuk

Posted

A fight about something-or-other. Amazing. I think the one that's got their back towards us is my very favorite condor, Black 47 Underlined, who has always touched my heart with her hanging on the edges, smirking, or constant eating. I am thinking that the other bird said something smart-assed and she went after him. I imagine that's how she'd be, anyway 😄

The wings on these birds never fail to amaze me

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to ElisabethB's comment.

The faces on them are priceless! Like sitting down to a fine meal and taking an appreciative whiff before you start to eat, to savor the aromas 😄

Posted

When a scale yells BOO!

Posted

This condor is upset at another, and twisting around at him/her with open beak. It either looks like it's made of Silly Putty, or one of those Twisty Balloon animals 😃

Posted

The one behind (or in front of) the scale is trying to hide and feeling very guilty about something ! 😄
    Pssst, I'm not actually here

Posted

Vertical lift-off 😄

Posted

A raven, dripping 😃

Posted

Two condors doing early morning yoga

Posted

• zekazoo by zekazoo scientist

😃

Posted

Ravens, break dancing

Posted

Look who is auditioning for America's next Condor Model 😄

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

http://talk.condorwatch.org/#/subjects/ACW0000s8n
    I know it's just ravens, but I think it would be possible to work out exactly how the wings work in flight from this image!

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to inaspin's comment.

Ravens is the point (big pic!) I wonder why they're so bendy? That's the coolest pic!

Posted

Rubber raven

Posted

At first I thought this was a raven, but here's an eagle doing the Rubber Raven Stretch

Posted

Condor Free Form Interpretative Dance "The Tragedy of No Carcass, Act I"

Posted

• CatchATiger by CatchATiger

Someone must have yelled GO. I can not get over the shapes the ravens make when they fly. It's as if they have no bones.

Posted

Evil Eye condor

Posted