Condor Watch Talk

Trespassing To Collect Data

• Rick_Nowell by Rick_Nowell

Long time! Just a note to report a new Wikipedia article concerning Wyoming Senate Bills 12 and 80. If you don't know about this, come visit the article! Basically, Wyoming outlawed Citizen Science in March 2015 using the above laws, which are now part of litigation. Worth reading!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_Senate_Files_12_and_80_2015_'Trespassing_To_Collect_Data'

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Hi Rick! Ah hah, the old Rick N 😃

Saw a post about this on the "other" Talk - thanks for posting this. So many pros and cons and interesting points to this. I have seen many projects on other CS sites that made me pause for a second and wonder if they weren't, in a way, a breach of a landowners or private person's "privacy".

(That would spark a huge discussion, pro and con, I'm not meaning to have here; just saying this is very interesting and make you think!)

Thanks again and nice to see you!

Posted

• Rick_Nowell by Rick_Nowell in response to wreness's comment.

Yes, well-spotted! My previous name got changed as it had a space in it. Spaces were banned. Unfortunately, that meant everything (messages etc.) under that name got erased. Annoying to say the least!

Yes Wyoming SF 12 & 80 are controversial. Private landowners have rights against trespass of course. However the new laws specifies 'open land' outside municipalities. So that includes public land as well. It seems to go against the USA constitution. Anyway, I hope the article presents a NPOV.

As for CW, I was offline for most of the year, but really, truthfully, the paper that was published in the Ecologist saying that 60% of condors released into the wild were killed by lead poisoning, upset me greatly and reminded me that I was 5,000 miles away and out-of-my-depth. I hope I added something positive to the Wikipedia California Condor article.

Best wishes, Richard

Posted