Condor Watch Talk

Recent Poster Stats From Blog.

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

Some statistics from the poster on the recent blog: "Sharing your hard work with the world!" by Alex (Dec 4).
    The meeting was held in late September 2014. These stats might be somewhere here already; they seem familiar...
    https://www.birdmeetings.org/aoucossco2014/default.asp

Since May 1st, 2014, number of:

animals identified in photos (incl. non-condors): 1,048,576

condors found in photos: 263,241

people participating: ~8600

photos analysed by volunteers: 183,179

which suggests an average volunteer has viewed 21 photos, marked 30 condors and classified 121 animals.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

I can't believe that many photos have already been classified..wow!

So I'm guessing that means about 685,135 of the animals identified were ravens. 😛

Thanks for posting this, Rick!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Fantastic! You guys all rock.

(soooooo many ravens)

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

The presentation (and therefore stats) was in September, so there might well be a few more by now. The original aim was to look at up to 175,000 pics, but they are presented in blocks of a few thousand at a time to get multiple viewings. There's a thread about it here somewhere that explains the method, but I can't find it! Those stats are familiar, but I can't find them either! Not much use really...

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

HI! Yes, a lot of ravens! We are currently working with the Zoo folks who are helping us analyze subsets of data to see how many people need to say 'Yes I see a condor" or "No condors" , etc. in order to determine how many people do we need to classify a photo before it can be retired. Our goal is to retire images as quickly as possible without compromising the data quality. We are especially looking at ways in which we can retire "blank" (as in no animals present) photos rapidly. We will post another blog on the photo retirement criteria once we have information from these analyses, along with where we are at in terms of how many photos have been classified. Thank you EVERYONE for all your hard work on CondorWatch!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Great to hear that the team is actively working with the data and how the data is being classified; thank you so much for the terrific update, @myraf !!

Updates help keep everyone engaged, active, feeling useful, and classifying! 😃

EDIT: Also, the current # of completed classifications is 256,394. That's classifications done, mind, not photos analyzed (each photo takes multiple classifications). Still awesome!

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

It will be interesting to find out how the statisticians manage to retire images quickly and, more generally, how the processes are evolving with larger datasets available. Worthwhile study in its own right. At last I managed to find the thread about image selection and repeats, which is here:Repeat Images http://talk.condorwatch.org/#/boards/BCW0000001/discussions/DCW00002a0 . Here statistician Vicki tells us how the pictures are presented as blocks, rather than in a just completely random way.

Posted