Condor Watch Talk

Scientists: "Vultures use acid, nasty bacteria to digest rotting flesh"

• DZM by DZM admin

Interesting new study on why carrion birds are able to eat such revolting stuff!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/vultures-use-acid-nasty-bacteria-to-digest-rotting-flesh-1.2849921

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

This is so interesting! We have been thinking about looking at the microbes in the gastrointestinal tract of condors.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

It must have been 'the' week for turkey vulture digestive system analysis. Here's another great article

I think this was the original article by the Scientist in Denmark, or where the tests originated. It was interesting that along with the gastrointestinal tracts also did facial swabs for comparisons. English version just for you 😃

The most revolting thing is they have taste buds. When I learned condors don't have a sense of smell I thought "Well wasn't that kind to create them that way?" but you can't taste your food without a sense of smell. So do they? Then I think I really have to stop thinking about this stuff. Like now. Because ewwwww.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey, I think liver tastes gross, but... different strokes, right?

I won't judge people for eating cooked liver, and I won't judge condors for eating raw, rancid, rotting, bloody liver, either! 😃

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

People also eat things like Balut, so I won't judge, either. I'll stick to Cheerios and coffee for dinner. Food of the gods 😃

Posted