Condor Watch Talk

Mature condors

• inaspin by inaspin

Hi - once the condors reach adulthood, do the facial colours get more pronounced when they are in breeding mode? I've noticed that the depth of colouration varies a lot from very pale to extremely vivid in those wearing their adult plumage and facial bumps. Or is it a male/female thing? Just recently noticed, so haven't been keeping count yet!

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

Hi Insapin! What a great observation! Yes, the adults do/can change their coloring - I was just talking to someone about this yesterday. During courtship behaviors the males will also inflate their air sacs so their red coloring is more displayed. I am not sure which emotions trigger the color change or why - I do not think it is a male/female thing, But I will check with one of the keepers at the LA Zoo (who I call the condor whisperer) as he will know more of when/why/who changes colors. Stay Tuned! Although super interesting, we aren't currently planning on integrating this behavior into our analyses so no worries about keeping count, but feel free to make note of extreme examples - maybe we can learn something new about why/when condors change colors!

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

There also seems to be some crossover between when a condor is a juvenile and when it becomes and adult. Juveniles have black/grey hair on their head and neck; adults have pink/red. I've seen some that are sort of half way between. Presumably all the black/grey hair doesn't fall out in one day so these might be like condor 'teenagers', moulting juvenile hair over a few weeks or months.

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

To myraf - thanks; love the idea of a condor whisperer - I can just imagine them beak to ear.
    To Rick N. - I noticed this too - I think of the ones with the dark 'mask' on their heads as the Sub-adults. Almost, but not quite there. Don't know if this is correct, but it seems logical.

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

HI inaspin and RIck":
    From the Condor Whisperer himself on condors changing colors (I might do a blog post on this as well FYI):
    "Colors vary with status, age, sex, emotional state, breeding activity, and especially the amount of beta carotene in the diet.
    in my opinion females have a yellower coloration from the malar stripe forward than males. Of course it varies from bird to bird. but if you put them side by side I find the females have a yellower face generally from the malar stripe forward. Males can have the same yellow in this place but it is usually shaded with a little more fushed coloration mixed in . This is not a hard and fast rule obviously.
    Intensity of color varies widely. When birds are upset or angry around the nest or young the colors intensify. They also go starkly pale when in fear or being pursued (like by someone with a net for capture for health checks, etc.).

something I have noticed just recently.... The mature adults tend to have a bluish neck. When they get a hold of food and start to dig in on the food the neck flushes(if its exposed and the ruff isn't up) and the neck turns more purple than blue. These are great questions."

it would be interesting to tag photos if you see this purplish coloring when feeding or any other extreme examples of the birds changing colors! Thanks for a great topic to discuss!

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Thank you again! Will look out for the bluish neck thing. Ok sorry for the ignorance - but what is the malar stripe please?

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

A marking on a bird's face that extends from the base of the bill to the side of the neck, usually in a downwards and backwards direction. The thickness, shape, length and color of the stripe can vary, and it may be sharply defined, blurry or broken. On some birds, the stripe is very distinct while on other species it may be the border between contrasting colors on the cheek, neck, chin and throat.

I found that on a bird site; I'm not that smart 😃

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin in response to wreness's comment.

I found that on a bird site; I'm not that smart - Sorry, just don't believe it! 😃

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

I don't believe you're not that smart either! Not for a minute.

Malar stripe is one of those geeky birding terms that has been used to refer to a couple of different facial markings and its use is under some debate. More than you want to know on that here: http://www.sibleyguides.com/2012/03/what-is-the-submoustachial/

But I think the condor whisperer is referring to the dark marking extending downward in front of the condor's eyes. I like the explanation of its function here: http://pacificcoastperegrinewatch.org/page/2/
    *malar stripe – A marking on a bird’s face that extends from the base of the bill to the side of the neck, usually in a downwards and backwards direction. It reduces glare. i.e. It is similar to the black marks that football players use on their cheeks.

enter image description here

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

I started a collection of colorful faces and necks. I do notice they go 'blue' at the neck when they're eating and 'red' at the neck when eating, too.

The best ever pic of a face is this one Such dignity and royalty.

Posted