Condor Watch Talk

What to do about the SCALE?

• mboschmd by mboschmd

Love the changes! I have just one question: what do we do about the scale? It's been half eliminated: it's no longer linked with the carcasses on the image page, but re-appears when asking about condor position...do the condor scientists really want to know the social pecking order around a foreign object? It came up immediately for me when viewing the first "new" and improved CW image today: there was a big, beautiful adult just snuggled up against the scale. There was carrion present, so I had to decide whether to relate the bird's position to the scale, or to the carcasses? So, I marked the scale under "something else" and had to comment on the scale in "Talk".
    Given the frequency the scale appears, if it's not important then it should not appear in the "How close is this animal to the carcass or scale? (Required)" question.
    Then we won't be saddled with discussing the scale in the "Talk" section with such frequency.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

yes, i like the changes, but i'm confused too. not sure, which carcass to tag when there's more of them of the same size when "the best thing to do is to mark the biggest piece of a carcass and not worry about marking each individual bit". shall i mark all of them or just the carcass, which has the most animals around itself?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to miltonbosch's comment.

I've forwarded this question to Vicky. But I think the 'or scale' part of the question where the condor is, should have been removed. They probably forgot that it was there. But we'll get a definite answer soon ! 😄

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

Hi All, yes, this seems like a mistake to have 'carcass or scale', it should just be carcass. I will let the programmers know as this should be easy to fix. You are correct, we do not care how close the condor is to the scale (although a condor lounging on one is cool to tag), we are interested in who is next to who at the free food buffet. Thank you so much for pointing this out and thanks for your help with Condor Watch.

Posted