Condor Watch Talk

Condor lead related behavioural traits?

• Canmore1919 by Canmore1919

I have several questions related to lead poisoning and its affect on condor behaviour:

• Are there some specific condor behaviours which lead you to conclude that a condor suffers from lead poisoning?
    • Is there some exhibited behaviour that is observed in pictures that aids in this determination?
    • Is there something that we all can note and report in pictures that could help out?
    • How do you track and capture condors for possible treatment?

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

Hi! Lets see, this can be complicated but I will try to answer succinctly and then let me know if you have follow up questions.

Free-flying condors in California are re-captured about 2/year to do a health exam, check their blood lead values to see if they are lead poisoning and need treatment, and also check their transmitters. One purpose of these feeding stations is to have the condors come back to a trap-up sight (where they are supplied food) and then they are lured into a large flight pen where they can be captured by hand (with a net) by the condor biologists affiliated with the recovery program.

Lead is a well known neuro-toxin and we have talked about how to test their cognitive capacity but are still working on that. Currently clues the condors are lead poisoned would be if they are not moving for a few days (as the condors have transmitters the condor biologists check for "normal" movement almost daily). If a condor seems like it has some sort of paralysis (e.g., can not stand) or is acting odd that bird is targeted for capture to check its blood lead levels. Another clue is if a dominant condor (typically the older birds are more dominant) who usually is observed first at the carcass suddenly drops rank and is acting subordinate to younger birds. So, for Condor Watch, once you get to know the birds you can tell if a condor that normally gets first dibs to eat is getting pushed aside. Getting to know the condors and seeing a change in behavior is a big clue that something is wrong. Thank you very much for your interest and let write back if you have more questions!

Posted

• zekazoo by zekazoo scientist

Hi Canmore1919. There are some behaviors that can tip off biologists that a condor is suffering from lead poisoning. Actually, feeding behavior is a big one. If a previously dominant adult is suddenly having difficulty getting access to a carcass, that is usually a bad sign. We are hoping that some of the data from Condor Watch will help us document these rises and falls in the feeding hierarchy.

Additionally, if you see a photo in which a condor looks unwell (e.g. drooping wings or head) you can bring that photo to our attention my making a note on the photo. You can do this my selecting the option to discuss the image after you've classified it.

Condors are tracked using radio and gps transmitters. You will sometimes see these transmitters on top of their numbered patagial tags. Condors are trapped at least annually to test their blood lead concentrations. If their blood lead is too high, they will be transported to a facility which can hold them for chelation treatment which can take weeks.

I hope that answers your questions! Thank you so much for your help!

Posted