Condor Watch Talk

Lead sources

• Witgren by Witgren

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) California has established lead-free hunting zones in condor territory. If that's the case, is the source of the lead poisoning that is occurring despite those zones known? Is it poor compliance in the lead-free hunting zones? Condors foraging outside the boundaries of those zones? Other sources of lead besides bullet fragments?

Posted

• myraf by myraf scientist

Hi, thank you for your comment. Our research has shown that lead-based ammunition is the principal source of lead poisoning to condors and that condors continue to be lead poisoned after the ban on lead for hunting in condor territory. Feel free to send me an e-mail if you would like me to send you our research papers. You can also listen to this podcast that summarizes some of our research findings: http://www.pnas.org/site/misc/myraFinkelsteinPodcast.mp3

Posted

• Witgren by Witgren

Thank you! I'm in the midwest and we are having similar lead poisoning issues with bald eagles scavenging gut piles and carcasses, mainly during deer hunting seasons.

Posted