Condor Watch Talk

Post any site/technical issues here

• DZM by DZM admin

Browser extensions like AdBlock, etc. are often the culprits in making the site misbehave. However, tablets can be unfortunately temperamental, too... We are trying to do what we can to make projects work better on tablets, but it's often worth trying multiple browsers on your tablet, too. 😃

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

It's a sometimes-issue that when you sign in you'll see the Tutorial photo again, even though you have already been here. Please post if this is the case.

To skip the photo either classify it (if you want to) or just click "all animals marked" on it and skip it.

If you're having any other issues please post those, too!

Thank you 😃 !

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Did Condor Watch used to preserve the subject that you were working on?

That's not standard practice on most Zooniverse projects.

Definitely, if you want to keep that image, use shift-click to open in a new window, or ⌘-click (at least that's what it is on a Mac) to open in a new tab...

Thanks for staying on these issues, @wreness --! Really appreciate it! Let me know if I can do anything to help. 😃

Posted

• vjbakker by vjbakker scientist

DZM, in response to the question about preserving images, that definitely used to be the case. I would often stop classifying when I came to a "hard" photo with lots of condors or lots of ravens, and darned if that hard image wasn't always there waiting for me when I returned 😃. However, recently that has changed.

I've had the flu for the past week so have had trouble documenting and transmitting the other issues, but it does certainly seem that there is something wrong with the account of mapat, and several others as well. As wreness says, given what we know about how many photos are currently out, how much classifying mapat has done, and the behavior of mapat's error, it does not seem remotely possible that mapat has classified all current images.

Anything you can do to help sort this out would be great because we would hate to lose our dedicated users over site frustrations. Thanks!

Posted

• donsa by donsa

Another issue with not being able to go to Talk and come back to a picture - previously, if I couldn't clearly see a blue, yellow, orange, etc. tag clearly, I could go to Talk, open the document for rare tags, and get some ideas on the likely number. Now if I go to Talk, then go back to classifying, I can't get back to the same picture . The picture with the unclear tag is moved to my completed folder, and the next picture is displayed.

I would also take a break at a "hard" picture with the expectation that I could take a break, the come back and classify it. That's no longer possible. Very frustrating!.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

With regards to Talk loading a different image than the one you were looking at...

Are you saying that you use are leaving your classification by using the "Talk" button in the header of the page? The one between "Education" and "Blog?"

You don't mean the "Discuss" button that appears after you've completed an image, right?

You're saying, @donsa , that you click the Talk button in the header before you are done with a classification... and when you get back, the image that you were looking at appears in your "completed" folder despite your never having actually completed it? You're not talking about the "Discuss" button that pops up after you have completed an image?

I'm trying to fully understand the issues here.

I'm much more worried about the sign-in stuff, because you should be able to just open Talk in a new tab to keep your current subject and be able to browse Talk. If you open it in a new tab, there's no reason you'd lose what you're working on, right? It might not be perfect, but I'm trying to focus right now on the stuff that is keeping people from classifying!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I've just learned one more interesting thing.

A couple of weeks back, one of our developers, I believe on the science team's request, updated the subject-selection mechanism in Condor Watch to allow the scientists some extra behind-the-scenes functionality.

I'm guessing that action somehow removed whatever caching mechanism was serving you all the same subject upon returning as you had before you signed out, left, went to Talk, etc. (It's not like your marks stayed, right? It always returned the image free of marks?) It wasn't intentional, but it's the most likely scenario.

The thing is, that's how all other Zooniverse projects work, to my knowledge. If you leave the page in any way, you'll get a new subject when you come back. That's why I was surprised that it had ever been different here. I really don't think it's in our interests to go back and change that here on CW... Would it just be possible to get used to opening a new tab/window if you want to check Talk? I can teach everyone the keyboard shortcuts! 😃

However, that very tiny tweak should not be causing your sign-in nightmares. (Checking: Are the sign-in problems just for @wreness and @CatchATiger -- no one else?) I was suspicious for a moment since you said the URLs were screwy, but I think that the strange URLs are caused by the sign-in screwups. A dev suggests that the site is appending your username and password as a query string on the URL, causing the weird URLs with a bunch of extra coding.

@wreness ... could you perhaps give me an example of a weird URL? It might be really helpful in figuring out the bug. (As long as you can't make out your password or anything in there!)

EDIT: Okay, I have that weird URL. Definitely a query string. What on earth is causing it... that will be the devs' challenge.

Important question: who is the "all" having the sign-in issues? I know @wreness and @CatchATiger ... I can't tell if @inaspin is as well? I am not, myself, and as far as I can tell, none of us here at Zooniverse can replicate it. I'm trying to figure out why it only seems to be affecting certain Condor Watch people... It affects you on Zoo Home; does it affect you on other projects, too?

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Yes! thank you very much. Tutorial loads like before, but when logged in another image loads, click on the "X" in the top corner of the tutorial message box and it takes itself off someplace... No need to use the scenic route to avoid it. Still slow, but that's my connection problem.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey @inaspin -- sorry -- not sure I follow? The tutorial pops up how often, and when... ?

Everyone who was having trouble with the https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/current page... is it working now? Some changes have been made. It should be fixed now!

Is anyone still having issues with login, getting logged out, etc.?

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin in response to DZM's comment.

I bookmarked the classify page way back in the dark ages, and sign in there. Tutorial pops up when this page** is loaded and takes itself off now when I sign in. Previously it stuck there, and I used to just check in at Talk or similar and then go back to classify using the blue lozenge at the top of the screen. Once again, thanks for the fix.
    **http://www.condorwatch.org/#/classify

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to inaspin's comment.

I'm not sure if this is part of the issue (before DZM adds his info for you) but based on what others have said, there seems to be a problem with any old bookmarked pages for this site, inaspin, if this might apply to you here, too. Shiphrah made a post on previous page (this thread) saying he removed all old bookmarks and made fresh ones and it seemed to help. Following his lead I did the same and found I no longer had to sign in 8 times before it "stuck" Even some of the boards or posts seem to have different, much longer URLs and the old ones won't load; many links were broken on posts and I had to re-enter them.

I notice when I sign out sometimes now it flips to the Tutorial page. It never did that before and doesn't do it every time.

Don't know if it'd help you to make fresh bookmarks for the Condorwatch log in?

Front condorwatch page: http://www.condorwatch.org/

Talk/recent page sign in: http://talk.condorwatch.org/

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin in response to wreness's comment.

OK Chief - I'll give that a try. Thanks. Good to see that we are all carrion on regardless!

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to inaspin's comment.

Now that I said this I just got randomly signed out, but it's rare now. Post again and say if the fresh bookmarks help you. ("Chief" LOL!)

Posted

I propose that we all start calling wreness Chief

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to vjbakker's comment.

NO, really, that's ok. Though "Supreme Galactic Condorwatch Moderator, Raven Shapeshifter Rank" has a certain ring to it. 😄

That means you'd have to be Grand Exaulted Galactic Condorwatch Scientist. (My spell check wanted to change "Exalted" to "exhausted". Hmm... 😄)

Posted

• Canmore1919 by Canmore1919

Out of the blue, I now no longer get the ALL ANIMALS MARKED button to press when classifying is completed. If I touch the screen where this button normally occurs then there is a quick grey flash of the button outline. But i can not advance to the next image. I can only advance if I touch or click on the existing image again usually several times.
    The button is there when an image first appears but as I start classifying, then it disappears.

Coincidentally the images of carcasses , birds coyotes etc that appear on the upper right side of page are stretched horizontally and distorted. It is very peculiar, this just started to happen this afternoon at approx 1500 MDT.

I am using an iPad with most current iOS. I can still classify images but process really slows down. Anyways, just sayin - something odd is happening to the link...

Posted

It is now 2000 MDT I tried logged in again and also used my MacBook Pro. Something is still quite buggy and quirky. The right side of the page remains distorted. When I use click on an object the magnifying glass / zoom-in tool jumps to the right of where I clicked. The good news is that when using the MacBook Pro the ALL ANIMALS MARKED button is still visible and functions normally.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

I'm having issues the last two days when I click on a button on the marking menu and then click the DONE button. A square column section from the DONE button down to the bottom of the page will turn blue as if a layer is there. I have to click at the top of the page where it's white, or on the photo, to clear that blue section away so I can click the DONE button again. This also happens when marking an animal - if, say, marking a coyote and then DONE that blue sheet will then cover all the bottom half of the page (and so all choices of animal/something else/done buttons). This doesn't happen every time but enough that it takes extra time to classify things here.

Posted

• sschalbe by sschalbe

For the last two days I tried to work on this but when I click on an animal in the photo, the selection buttons expand so much that I need to scroll across the screen horizontally to click on the appropriate animal. Once i click on the appropriate selection, the screen returns to normal. I've tried both IE and Chrome. It makes it difficult to work so I will wait until this is fixed.

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Sorry to report that I'm having the same problem as sschalbe and Canmore. Just appeared today (June 4 2015) but it is very disconcerting.

Posted

I'm seeing some of these issues too. I'll report to the programmers.

Posted

That was quick -- they've done some tweaks that fixed at least the expanded buttons issue. Please report if you have any further problems!

Posted

Yes I concur, as of today (1100MDT), the issues seem to be resolved. Thanks for the quick fix!

Posted

• GizmoMischief by GizmoMischief

Having issues with the images loading at all - all I get is a grey box and the circle thingy that usually means wait while we load images. Disappointed - I really want to work on this project!

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to GizmoMischief's comment.

Please let us know what browser/how you're viewing things here, Gizmo. Be sure to turn off any AdBlocking or Ghosting apps/programs as this can interfere with things, too. Others have reported this issue but when we try to pin it down we don't get the details, so details will help! Thank you 😃

Posted

• G.Haldursson by G.Haldursson

I am having this issue as well but it seems to only be when I use Chrome. When I switched to FireFox the issue was not there.

However, I use Chrome for everything and Condor Watch is the only site on Zooniverse I have a problem with when I use Chrome. I am new to this project. Someone on another project told me many have tried to do this project and have not because it doesn't work for them and has been "broken" here for months if you make a new account. Five of us in the family made Zooniverse accounts today and none of us can pull up any images on Condor Watch but just get the gray screen and spinning ball. We can go everywhere else and do everything else. So, this seems to be true.

I was able to classify photos, using Chrome, if I didn't sign in. If I was signed in, I got the gray box and nothing loaded. Doesn't make much sense.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

There has definitely been something a bit odd with this project and users' accounts. We tried to put in a fix a little while back, but it seems like some people are still being affected.

Personally, I have no issues classifying in Chrome, so it has to be some combination of issues, or related to specific user accounts (new accounts). Where were other people talking about it?

I also tried creating a brand-new account and had no issues classifying in Chrome. So this is going to take some sleuthing.

@GizmoMischief -- is your issue also in Chrome? Any luck with a different browser (Firefox?) Was it working before?

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to DZM's comment.

@DZM

I made a new "test" account with a new name and had this problem accessing any photos. I could go all over Zoo with no problem but got the grey ey screen/spinning ball on CW. I have a movie if that's helpful.

G.Haldursson also emailed me a movie of them trying to access the site, showing they couldn't.

I asked two others if they'd make new names and see if they could access things here, just to see but I have no way of knowing who comes by and leaves because they can't classify anything here.

On this name of course, all works well. It worked fine on Firefox. I don't know what the site stats look like but we should have a lot of people around due to those looking at the new projects coming by, and they don't seem to be. I have a lot of messages from people saying they can't see the photos or access the site so I really think this is impacting our getting people here and allowing them to interact

Jeannie22353 reported a while ago that she can only classify photos while not signed on (as an anonymous user) and when she finally signed in, she would get this grey screen after doing over 1000 classification here so it does have something to do with actually signing in. She said it was fixed now, but only in the last week.

Let me know if the movies would be helpful

Posted

Am a bit limited in my choice of browser - I'm using a Lenovo which has Windows RT8.1 loaded and I have had compatibility issues with many programs, therefore have no choice but to use Internet Explorer. However, all the rest of the Zooniverse projects seem to work just fine. I had issues a few months ago where I couldn't even log in and on Penguin watch I could only tag about three animals - but this issue is now resolved.

Posted

Thanks, Gizmo! 😃 It's the same thing being reported by others, too - every other place on Zoo seems to load except for Condor Watch, regardless of browser, etc. I've heard from 5 people and they all said they were either brand new Zoo accounts or new to visiting the Condor Watch area specifically (but not new on Zooniverse) and all said the same thing. Others have made new names and tested this and had the issue even though they are "regulars" here on an old name.

We hope this will get fixed soon and hope you'll keep checking back! It does all work fine if you don't sign in (for some strange reason) so you can always classify photos without signing in and if you want to post a comment on TALK or the boards you can sign in and do that. And of course read and post and stop by anyway! Thanks for the info - it will help! 😃

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness admin

Hey wreness, very sorry for the troubles you are having.

This problem has been very tough to track down, as we haven't been able to reproduce it in-house, using either new or old accounts.

Next time you run into this problem, could you open the browser console (https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/console for Chrome) and send either DZM or myself a screenshot of what you see? There might be something in there we can use to track this down.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It's the end of our work week here, of course, but hopefully you all will be able to get us something by Monday and we can figure this little gremlin out for you!

Posted

have just tried to classify birds without signing in - better but not perfect. I'm able to work my way through the example but as soon as I click on the button at the end of the whole process to say I don't want to discuss it, it goes right back to the beginning of the example again. Aaarghhh!! fingers crossed that whatever little bug it is causing this can be evicted!

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator in response to bumishness's comment.

Well hiya bumishness!

I will do. I also have movies of myself on a new Chrome account trying to access things and it not working, and G.Haldursson also sent me a movie of him doing this a few days ago when he first posted. I'll do it with the Dev tools up so the code runs. I'll PM them to DZM - thank you

@Gizmo! As you know Google has not developed a version of Chrome for Windows RT and they're going to stop supporting Flash on their browser now, too. (Except for "select ads" that they select for us.) They're getting extra picky who they share their Toy with. So you're stuck with IE. Just for the heck of it, maybe check your browser settings and make sure you allow 3rd party cookies for Condor Watch or making sure it's White listed on your Security settings (I don't know why allowing them for all of Zoo wouldn't work but we have Ghosts in our machine here I think 😃)

We're glad you're hanging in here and we'll get it fixed. We have the Smart Geeks working on it 😄

Posted

• G.Haldursson by G.Haldursson

Hello. I dont know if this helps at all as far as information. I have not been able to access the photos if I sign in (I sent wreness a movie of this) Tonight I was asked to try again in a different manner, so did. If I go to the page with a classification photo first and then sign in that photo then becomes the photo I am given to classify. I am then able to continue to get photos. I still at times get the tutorial photo but mark one condor and discard this photo so I receive a fresh photo. If I sign in at the main black and white Condor Watch screen then go to the forum or classify area I will get the gray screen yet.

I created a 2nd new name to see if I had the same problems the other night and I did. No access. However tonight I had no problem signing in and going directly to the photos and classifying one. It was as if whatever prevented my from doing so the other night was no longer an issue. I have changed nothing and am on the same browser and computer.

Posted

temporary fix - tried classifying and then signing in, seems to be working so far - touch wood.

Posted

I'm glad that's working for you guys. That's 3 people now who have said that's the "fix" to get around the grey screen and spinning beach ball - classify a photo or pull one up and mark something, then sign in and you'll be given the photo you had.

I sent DZM some movies/code of the screens not loading so hopefully the problem can be figured out.

Thanks for hanging in there 😃

Posted

• sschalbe by sschalbe

I tried both IE and Chrome and in Chrome it was recording the same condor number I entered for one condor on all the condors. On IE it was not recording condor numbers at all. I really want to help with this project but it seems like there are so many technical issues. I feel like working on it is detrimental to the project since my entries are invariably wrong.

Posted