Condor Watch Talk

The Bios/ Pictures

• Graceling1 by Graceling1

Some times I find that on a tag i can see the color but not the full number. I think it would be nice to know what the oppositions are for the specifics that we are able to identify. I would love to have a 'back' button so that if I find that I am able to read the tag more clearly or I think I put the wrong color or something I can try correcting that problem. For the bios well if you have lots of condors on the same page then you push the 'all animals marked' button you can't scroll left far enough so out of 20 condors if you do the 4 or 5 that you can identify fully first you won't be able to read their bios or full number on the next screen. In the guide there is a mention of the trackers that are attached to the tags some have them and some don't but you don't have a button to mark that says 'yes this condor has a tracking device as well as a tag' and there isn't a button to push if you can tell that a condor has a tag but you can't tell the color or number or how many dots there are or if it is underlined. In the bios if a condor has had a chick it indicates so and it gives the name of said mate but it doesn't give the number of the chick. I would love to know the chicks numbers if they have a chick. I'd also like to know through the bios if they are identified what the tag information was (color, underlined, dots, number). It will make it a lot more interesting to know such information.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

Gets complicated, doesn't it? So many options. Since the site is new and there's a lot of changes being made and bugs being ironed out (as well as all the data being looked at) here's some ideas for you that are kind of "work arounds" for now

If you see a bird with a tag and see the color but not the #, then leave the # area blank but mark the color of the tag

If you can only see the number but can't tell the color, just put the # and leave the tag color blank.

If you can only tell 1 of the number, place an X for the one you can't see (like 3X or X5)

If you can tell there are numbers but can't tell any of them, you can put an XX. This way you're letting them know there was a tag (and obviously numbers...) but they weren't visible. This also works if you see just a piece of a tag or the edge of one. So, you're saying you know there's a tag on the bird but have no way to get any info on it.

Some of the tags are replacement tags. They get lost or just break off, get rubbed off, rot off, eaten off - you name it. I asked about this on one of the boards and myraf (one of the scientists) gave me a great explanation about how complicated this Tag-Stuff is. The board is here Tag question since this is much better than I could ever explain it.

And yep I ran into that tonight where I had 14 condors but couldn't see the bio on the last one so didn't know if it even recognized the bio. I couldn't scroll the page any more to the L or R. I have a work around for you, if you're on a regular computer. It's kind of a pain but this is what I did (I'm a hopeless geek so bear with..) :
    when you're on the page with the Bio buttons, if you can't see all of them, right click on the page and you ought to get a menu. One of the should say "view source" This opens up a page or code. If you look through it, and your eyes don't fall out of your head, you can locate the section where it's listing the Tag numbers and the info you put for the birds. Look through it all and you'll see all of them. Look for the ones you can't see (you have to remember your tag #s.) But this would be good to post in the Tech area...it's a good suggestion!

Even though we don't have every bit of info, the people looking at our data know the bird well enough or their habits or who they hang out with that even if we just have something, they can often figure out who the bird was from what we give them. They know what they're seeing much better than we know what we're seeing. And they're much smarter than us 😃

Hope this helps!

Posted

• BirdGrrl by BirdGrrl scientist in response to wreness's comment.

Super helpful reply, Wreness. Thanks!!

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd in response to wreness's comment.

RE: so many condors, I cannot see the ID's because they are off-screen (paraphrased): I ran into the same problem when I found over 20 condors.
    I discovered that if you hold Control down, use your mouse wheel to shrink the screen image so that all your birds can be viewed.
    Works great 😄

Posted