Condor Watch Talk

Comments on site design

• TTransmit by TTransmit

I have had issues of accidentally clicking "All animals marked" when I haven't finished a couple of times (only with ravens remaining to be selected). There is no way to go back when you realise you have done this.

I have had a similar experince of clicking on something that looks like an animal to see it zoomed in but then realising it is not an animal and not being able to delete it. I just tried dragging a mark off the picture but this lead to a message "Incomplete markings! Check for solid red dots." without me being able to see the dot that I had dragged under the area on the right where the text appears and you answer the questions.

The jQuery animation between selecting "What kind of animal is this?" and saying "How close is this animal to the carcass or scale?" slows down the process of entering data (in Firefox). Especially when there is a picture with 15 ravens. The design looks very nice and is very easy to use but the animations do slow things down.

Posted

• Tuketi by Tuketi

If you accidentally click somewhere and realise there's no animal, you can click the X on the right side next to the grey circle that shows the animal pictures when you choose one. That will remove that marking for you.

Posted

• TTransmit by TTransmit

Thanks for the tip, Tuketi.

Posted

• TTransmit by TTransmit

I'm done for the day. I enjoyed this as I have the other Zooniverse projects. I would come back if I was reminded more about them. Feedback would particularly get me to come back. I know with the planet hunters project I got put off by not being sure if I was getting things right and so just adding to the noise. It wouldn't even need to be from a human. An option to be sent an automated e-mail message like "Last time you intentified 30 condors and catergorised 100 photos. What will you do next time?" sent to me next week would get me doing it again.

Posted

• kjdem by kjdem

I have also accidentally clicked "All animals marked" before completing an image. It would be nice if there were a way to go back, or move "all animals marked" to another location on the screen so it's not as easy to click by mistake. For the occasional "other mammal" or unidentifiable bird it might help if we had a clue whether to mark them, or skip them.

The tutorial does not mention "please mark the carcass" or how to handle separate pieces of one carcass. That would be a welcome addition to clarify things.

Posted

• tobold by tobold

I want to echo the last comment.

The final screen really needs a back button!!

Posted

• Pentix by Pentix

add a back button, make raven easy/ faster to select. add some kind of 'other animal' button. the search for tags isnt working like it should.

Posted

• daishizukagmail.com by daishizukagmail.com scientist

We'll propose this to the tech team. Hopefully we can get the back button added soon.

Posted

• wreness by wreness moderator

It would be really helpful to have more photos of the condors and turkey vultures. The Field Guide has 1 small profile view of each and the one little round icon showing them with a raven. This really isn't overly helpful considering all the many angles and lighting conditions we see in the photos. It'd be nice to see a few views of the feathers of condors and vultures from the back since many pics have the birds without heads, but with them buried in the carcasses or in the groups, and all we see are shoulders or backs or even tails and wings. If the light is bad, Goldens can look just as dark as a hunched over Vulture, only the tail would tell but we don't know what that'd look like. There is no info on the rest of these birds except their ugly heads. 😃

. There have been birds with large sections of white feathers on the sides of their wings (it might be on the underside...can't tell!) that many have asked about - which are these?

Posted

• lazymuse by lazymuse

Condors have white feathers on their wings, turkey vulture do not.

Posted